Taking Yoga Outdoors
I am absolutely loving our outdoors yoga sessions this summer! Here's five good reasons to take your practice outdoors.
1. We hone our focus and become more attentive, with deeper harmonious breathing, creating mental focus and bringing our awareness back into the body, to become more present.
2. Our senses are really heightened outside, stimulated by the varying scents, vibrant colours, sounds of nature and touch sensations like breeze on skin and softness of grass underfoot. It’s so overwhelming that there is almost nowhere else we can be but the here and now, which allows us to let go of anything else which was in the mind, empowering the yoga practice.
3. Our Prana is amplified, being outside exposes us to the boundless energy of nature; feel the sun on your face and absorb the visual energy of the vibrant blues and greens of the natural world.
4. Being in nature can release endorphins in the body. If I feel low of energy, or stuck with a problem, there is nothing like yoga outdoors or even a walk in the woods to shift things and become revitalised.
5. Practicing yoga off the mat and on the grass, the uneven surface means we have to use the foot differently, our awareness is therefore more grounded to the earth, and we use many of the secondary muscles in the body as we seek to find a new way of achieving balance. We get deeper into the body.
Get outside and enjoy your yoga practice!